Please consider...

Fostering adoption via bottom-up and top-down strategies

Can enterprise 2.0 be successful relying only on viral adoption by employees? Or does it need top-level sponsorship to push it forward?

25 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymousanonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ellen FeahenyEllen Feaheny commented  · 

I think it's a question of quicker adoption as well as success. When top-down not only sponsors, but also actively contributes, this communicated transparency at the top level sends loud and clear msgs to the org. Also, once some level of adoption, publicly acknowledged approval of those efforts helps. All in all, people need to feel comfortable "exposing themselves" in public platforms, knowing that their efforts are intended for collaboration w/ others' input to evolve add'l polish of content, designs, opinions, plans, innovation.

• brewerstevobrewerstevo commented  · 

in the beginning bottom up successful use of "teamware" like basecamp allows socialsoftware use to "fly under the radar" of IT / Leadership. It shouldn't last very long as a clandestine effort. Once some momentum has been built I think it is a good idea to partner with an executive sponser. Then a broader socialsoftware effort via socialtext, et al could be rolled out company wide.

• sameerpatelsameerpatel commented  · 

Its social and needs to be adopted on the front lines. However, possible outcomes and requirements, should it be a success, need to be articulated early on to top level. In other words, they need to be ready to commit any opex and capex requirements to keep this humming beyond a pilot or first few milestones. E1.0 saw many ghost towns emerge b.c expectations were not set early on.

• frymasterfrymaster commented  · 

What is the difference in outcomes between non-sponsored efforts (rogue wikis) VS sponsored efforts?

• elbpdxelbpdx commented  · 

I think both are must-have's. Viral adoption is very important, and offers opportunities for individuals to take initiative and take risks with new communication methods. And there needs to be full top-level support to help support the inevitable workflow changes that occur with new processes and tools. I'm looking forward to hearing more on adoption ideas and techniques!

• aqualungaqualung commented  · 

Even within the enterprise, it's "social" networking, so it HAS to be adopted virally, not mandated ... but adopters need to know that there is top-level 'approval' to do so - sponsorship, yes ... coercion, no

Feedback and Knowledge Base